Friday, October 12, 2012

Data! and ESA in Portland

So, it's about time I've posted some data from my experiment.  These are some results I have so far that I presented at the Ecological Society of America meeting in Portland in August.  The graph shows my different experimental treatments on the x axis (whether the greenroofs were unplanted or planted with one of the Sedum species) and the y axis shows the field capacity, or the mositure content of the greenroofs after a rain.  This shows that the plants were able to increase the ability of the greenroofs to capture water.  Albeit this increase was only a 3% (or roughly 3mm) difference, 3mm is a decent proportion of an average rain depth.  Also, these results are only after 2 years of plant growth, so we would expect the difference to increase over time.  Sedum sexangulare may have the biggest increase due to its fine root structure.



No comments:

Post a Comment